Monday, October 26, 2015

I'm getting married! - Week 1

So my folks are here for 3 weeks - medicals, Diwali, daughter looking up. 

While their here we're planning my (finally happening) Summer 2016 wedding in the hills! I'm so beyond excited I can't seem to do anything else. 

I'm thinking of putting it all down here, blow by blow, coz it's easier to find time to type than keep a journal. Infact, I'm between meetings and look at how much I'm getting done.

Budget - You need to lock on this because it's a rabbit hole. Your wedding can be as expensive and as cheap as you want it to be. Apparently, 20L is a good budget to have for a domestic destination wedding. I would've preferred something lesser but unless I want to do it at home it's just not going to happen. I'm hoping I don't overshoot that.

Dates - The second most important thing is figuring out a date. Mom has to go back to our family guru to close on this but we agreed on end June, maybe 1st week July. We're trying to aim for that sweet spot which is end of summer and before the onset of the Indian monsoons. Tricky this bit. I can't control the weather. Even with a good planner. And I've learned this the hard way on a 'spring' barbeque which turned out beautifully but was nowhere spring. It was just one of those days that got cold and miserable and rainy and my spring heralding session became a winter bbq. I don't want to take that chance this time so we'll need to get this right. Ideally I would've liked October. Wouldve given me more time but Adiety called her dates first and u didn't want to tread on toes and have any negativity. 

Guest list - Then comes the guest list. Now this is even trickier because as much as you think you have control over this, you'll surprise even yourself. Parents have relatives and friends they've been meaning to call. There are people who've attended your family functions that need you to invite them. There's long lost friends that will feel bad. And while I'm trying to be ruthless it's a painful process. We've finally settled at a small number of 150. I was looking at 100 but realistically 150 it is. I feel bad not wanting to invite everybody coz anyone who knows me knows I do want to, I just can't. Note to self and everyone out there: Please be rich. 

Destination - So I know when I want to do it and how much I can spend but where do i want it? I got into it hoping for Landour and Rokeby Manor but turns out they don't have enough space. Everything else in Mussoorie was either too commercial or too expensive. So I googled some more and found this beautiful property in Manali called The Himalayan. Turns out they may not have enough space either. Now I'm looking again. This bit needs it own article so will write more later.

Wedding Planner - Last item on the agenda: a wedding planner. Now as far as I'm concerned this is all important. I don't have the time or the mind space to plan this on my own especially as it's not in my own backyard. I don't want my parents to be stressed either. Enter wedding planner. My one stop solution and boxing bag (hopefully not). The planner will then fix everything else - hotel rates, logistics, caterers, decorators, wedding favours. 

Now if I think of it I got a lot done. Planning wise. I've even shortlisted 2 properties I love. But the whole going is working out to be expensive. So now it's back to planning. I'm scared I will have to change my dream wedding in the hills to a farmhouse in Delhi and everything fall flat. I'm also scared that even if I do manage my dream wedding my parents will be sucked dry. 

That reminds me I need to apply for a loan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment